A Travellerspoint blog


Week 13 - Orientation Week in Bali

I’m going to try to keep this one brief because I want to catch up and focus on the project a bit more. I did my orientation week in Ubud and then went to Nusa Penida to work at the turtle conservation project.

The first thing we did on Monday was have a culture lesson about the Balinese people. After lunch we went into Ubud center to visit the market and the monkey forest. The market is really overwhelming and you need to be an expert bairgener because the venders like to charge you a lot more. The monkey forest was pretty cool but I felt like I’d seen tons of monkeys before. These monkeys acted a bit different too, maybe because they’re so used to people. They seemed a bit more aggressive which I didn’t like. Monday night we went to see a show. It was really cool because the whole show followed a very complicated story. They gave us a summary in English so we could try and follow along but it was still a challenge. They had a large choir who sang throughout the performance and the effects they were able to do with their voices were pretty cool.

In the morning we had a language lesson. We just covered the basics but I think it was most helpful for the people who are in the teaching programs. Bahasa Indonesia is really similar to Malay so I already knew some of the greetings and how to count. In the afternoon we went to a batik painting class. I’d done batik in 6th grade and again in Sri Lanka so it wasn’t new to me but what was really nice was that they did the wax outline for you which is by far the most challenging part. All we had to do was use the dye to paint it. It ended up looking really nice. I chose to do turtles.

The first thing on Wednesday’s agenda was a cooking class with our coordinators. We all helped cut up vegetables and Tempe. We ended up making fried Tempe with steamed vegetables and fried bananas with chocolate sauce and cheese. It was amazing! Wednesday afternoon we had a meeting about our projects which was really helpful because we had so many questions about the island and the turtles. Wednesday night we went into town so I could get a SIM card and explore Ubud a bit before I left for Nusa.

We had another language lesson in the morning but I was so tired I kept falling asleep. Thursday afternoon we took a walk around the area where our accommodation is. It’s a 15 minute drive from the center of Ubud so there’s lots of rice fields and farms around us. We walked through the rice fields and saw a temple. Then we walked down to a river and put our feet in.

Friday morning I got up at 1:30am because I decided to do a sunrise hike up Mount Batur. I went with 6 other girls from my orientation group. We left at 2am and drove an hour to the base of the mountain. There a guide met us and we started the hike up the mountain. It was a lot harder than I had expected and definitely struggled getting to the top but the view was definitely worth it. It was freezing cold at the top. I had known it would be cold but I was not prepared for a Minnesota winter freezing cold. Luckily we got hot chocolate at the top. They also had natural heat vents at the top. I’m not sure that’s the right way to describe them but there was warm steam coming from them which felt nice after freezing at the top. By the time we got back down I wasn’t feeling well and we still had an hour drive back to our accommodation. I ended up having a fever for the next 2 days but it was definitely still worth it.

I spent the entire day sleeping because I was sick so nothing significant happened.

We packed up and headed out at 8:30am for Nusa Penida.

Posted by Ilana'sGapYear 00:54 Archived in Indonesia Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 1 of 1) Page [1]